Tuesday, August 26, 2008
EVERY once in awhile, we're able to capture a photo of our Leah in her usual, happy state. But as a general rule, when it comes to smiling for the camera - She will have NONE of it.
It's as though she's determined to appear UNhappy
This has been a continual source of frustration. That is...until last week when, while sorting through my childhood photos, I came across pictures like this one - taken by my dad when I was four.
Clearly, the apple does not fall far from the tree.
I have since forgiven Leah, and would like to take this opportunity to publicly apologize to my parents.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Saturday, August 16, 2008
1. His first name is actually Christopher
2. His only ‘B’ in college was in Child Development
3. He is among the 33% of people who suffer from brain freeze while eating ice cream
4. Jack is in the Guinness Book of World Records for being part of the “Largest Bingo House in the World,” Dodger Stadium, 2006
5. Every time the movie Castaway comes on TV, he feels compelled to watch it
6. When he drives by the ocean on dark nights, he wonders what it would have been like to have been Viking. For the first time in my life this makes me wonder – What WOULD it have been like to have been a Viking???
7. He’s been told he looks like Urban Meyer.
8. Jack's Pet Peeve: Misuse of the phrase “price gouging”
9. When the doctor told us our first two children were girls, he got choked up. When he told us our third was a boy, he made a fist and said, “YES.” He also got choked up:
10. When Paul Hamm won the Olympic Gold Medal in 2004
11. When Carrie Underwood won Season 4 of American Idol
12. His favorite dessert is Jello No-Bake Cheesecake (what a waste of my talents)
13. About 4 times a year he “gets crazy” and flosses his teeth
14. Yes - as the legend goes - While I was in the hospital in labor with Leah, he was at home drafting his fantasy football team. The WHOLE story, however, is that I insisted he do it against his persistent argument to the contrary. (There will be plenty of other labors. That was his only chance that season to have a dominant team)
15. He can play Journey’s “Faithfully” on the piano, perfectly.
16. You know how, when you make microwave popcorn, you inevitably wind up with a bunch of kernels at the bottom of the bag? Jack eats those.
17. Favorite teams: ASU (anything)
18. Football: Denver Broncos
19. Basketball: LA Lakers
20. Baseball: Chicago Cubs
21. The only thing that puts him in a bad mood is the song “Paved Paradise and Put up a Parking Lot.” (He's quick to point out however, that he could care less if paradise is paved. He just thinks it's the worst song of all times)
22. Other minor sources of irritation include Manu Ginobili, Maggie Gyllenhaal & the WNBA
23. Jack is an excellent climber and has hiked to the top of Mount Whitney, Olancha Peak, Half Dome, Mount Timpanogas, et al...
24. Number of times I’ve taken him to the ER since we’ve been married: 3
25. He never bites his straws or toothbrushes. His straws and toothbrushes are always in beautiful condition.
26. Favorite song: Bruce Hornsby’s Mandolin Rain
27. Jack is the anti-metro. It takes him 5 minutes to get ready. The only product he uses is a bar of soap. His wardrobe? He still wears a shirt that says, “BYU Intramural Champion 2002" (which, by the way, proclaims that he "Brought His 'A' Game").
28. He owns stock in Under Armour. (He'd say, "No Katie.
I own A stock in Under Armour.")
29. He’s voting McCain
30. He has a battery of hidden talents. When we were in high school, he surprised me with a doll he made using an old pair of jeans, a pillowcase, yarn, paint, a needle and thread. (Just don’t tell the baseball team). It’s the one thing I would save in a fire.
Did I miss anything? Feel free to add with a comment.
Happy Birthday Jack!
Thursday, August 14, 2008
I have never been fond of the French. When I was younger, my dad explained to me how they refused to let us use their airspace when Reagan ordered a strike on Libya, and I suppose I never got over it.
Then about a year ago, a friend of mine who had lived in France introduced me to Marseilles Soap. I'm so crazy about the stuff I am seriously considering reopening my personal diplomatic relations.
Marseilles Soap is a big rustic block made of pure olive oil.
It's intended for skin care, but I use it for laundry stains.
There's nothing it can't do - I've used it on my girls' clothes to remove popsicle juice, blood & grass stains (sometimes, all three at the same time)
Plus, I love how it looks sitting on my windowsill in the sunshine. I feel like I'm in the South of France, circa 1986, gazing up at my American-free sky...
(I order mine from amazon.com)
Saturday, August 9, 2008
Wednesday, August 6, 2008
Jack & Jolie's favorite date night is a trip to Sports Authority. The two of them will spend entire evenings there, testing out equipment and talking big plans for when she's older. All I ask is that he snaps pictures on his cell phone - These are a few of my favorites from the past year.
Dr. Jayme Garcia, our fifth (Real) Real Housewife of Salt Lake City , is accustomed to success. She earned top grades in high school and ...